<![CDATA[Have you ever wanted to check and see where your friends were on D-Star so you could connect with them, or curious what reflector is the busiest or even just wanting to see where you are showing up in the D-Star system? That is how this project started out. It is a web scraper application that scrapes the web pages of the D-Star gateways and the REF reflectors to build a database of history of contacts that are heard, what repeater connects to what reflector, etc. It uses the information to extend it's reach as well. For example, if a new repeater is connected to a reflector, it will attempt to contact the status page of the gateway for that repeater and start to gather information about that repeater. This worked well when it was created but now there multiple types of reflectors and different modes connecting to each other. The project is now moving to more of an all mode tracker. Basically, if you are on digital and so are your friends you can use this tool to see where they are, see what reflector is the busiest now or over time, etc. The complication now comes in getting all of the modes data into a common structure for the database. If you like bringing in disparate systems to build a complete integrated solution, you might like to get involved in this project.
Where We AreWe are in the very early stages of the re-design now. We would like to get some volunteers lined up for this project. We will keep this page updated as the project progresses.
VolunteerWe are always looking for volunteers to help create our solutions, so if you are a software developer, project manager or anything else in the development world and you would like to volunteer some time to help build the project, please check out the volunteer link on the main menu. We would love to get you involved.
More About the Software DesignHere is some basic information about what we are using to develop the application. It is very similar to the other software projects we have done:
- * The user interface is written using Sencha ExtJS 6.
- * The data backend is written in PHP.
- * It is a client-server based application as compared to an old style web application.
- – This means that the web interface is only downloaded one time and using Ajax calls the data is updated without reloading the page. Making it very fast and efficient.
- * It is a multi-tiered application so that if needed, it can be scaled both vertically and horizontally.
- * We use GitHub as the central repository for all of the developers.
- * We will setup a continuous integration system that will build the new versions once they are put on GitHub.
- * We use Slack as a development team to discuss issues, new features and to just get to know each other, etc.